20110422

ALIVE IN ME


Monday, April 18, 2011

Read: Luke 15
There is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents. - Luke 15:10

After a not-quite-as-lonely-as-I-expected birthday breakfast at Denny's this morning, then going back to my house and reading today's Today in the Word I thought I'd send out something I wrote earlier this month.  Today I am grateful I bumped into two precious friends (Ernie and Linda) who sang worship to Jesus at our wedding back some years ago in 1990; interestingly enough, Holy and Annointed One was written the same year Ev' and I met, 1988, and is a song we sang together often.  Well, now I've gone and made myself feel lonely again!  Fortunately, God is still working in my heart - I do tend to think my heart needs a lot of work - I'm trusting God knows exactly how much -- Romans 8:28By the way,
I turned 50 today! Praise the Lord!!! Love you all, Jeff



GOD IN ME

God in me always moves forward
God in me knows the way is Himself
He won't stop until He's Lord of my life

God in me will press on to tomorrow
God in me proves the truth is Himself
God always does what is best for my soul

God in me is strength to meet the new day
The Lord Jesus Christ is Himself my peace
He is the righteousness and joy of my heart

God will fulfill His wonderful purpose
God in heaven is faithful to His promise
He will complete the work He began

JEFF

The word of God is alive and powerful.

Hebrews 4:12


GOD IS ALIVE

God is in this heart of mine
God is there all the time
God is a living-moving being
Living Word inside of me

God is new every morning to me
As real as the sun and the moon
God is love that sets men free
Wonderful, powerful truth

God is life to my eternal soul
God in Christ is trustworthy hope
God is maker and breaker of nations
Living Strength that has no weakness

God is new every evening to me
As real as the stars in the sky
God is joy that makes my heart smile
True Peace in Christ will never die

Jeffrey Pollock


  
Monday, April 18, 2011

Read: Luke 15
There is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents. - Luke 15:10

TODAY IN THE WORD

Preoccupied with plans for upcoming concerts and tours, classical violinist Gidon Kremer accidentally left his $3 million violin behind on a train. Once he realized the situation, he urgently called Amtrak officials to see what could be done. A baggage handler found the violin, undisturbed in its blue cloth case, and the valuable instrument was quickly returned to its owner. As a thank-you, Kremer invited the Amtrak employee who had located the violin to one of his concerts.
As eagerly as Kremer searched for his lost violin, God is even more passionate in searching for spiritually lost individuals. Up to this point in our month's study, we have divided Luke's Gospel into three main parts: Jesus' birth (Luke 1-2), the start of His public ministry (chap. 3-7), and His main teachings (chap. 8-14). Today we begin a fourth section on the theme of God's kingdom in Jesus' teaching (chap. 15-19:27), to be followed by a final section on Passion Week, that is, Jesus' death and resurrection (19:28-24:53).
The three parables in today's reading reveal the joy God takes in saving the lost. The Pharisees thought it was improper for a rabbi to fraternize with "tax collectors and sinners," but Jesus wanted everyone to know that this is what the kingdom of God is all about! His first story involved a lost sheep (vv. 3-7), the second a lost coin (vv. 8-10), and the third a lost son (vv. 11-32). The first two begin with an item that gets lost, and then a careful effort is made to find it, upon which great rejoicing follows. From a spiritual perspective, sin is lostness and redemption is "foundness," so finding the lost item represents a sinner who by the grace of God repents.
The third parable is similar but more complex. The lost item in this story is a person who makes a series of choices. These choices include extreme disrespect to his father, selfishness, pleasure-seeking, wastefulness, and pride. By contrast, the father's choices include grace, mercy, compassion, unconditional love, and finally a celebration of "life out of death" when his son returned.



APPLY THE WORD
While the shepherd and the housewife in the parables searched diligently for their lost items, the third story doesn't mention the father searching at all. He let the son make his choices and walk his wayward road—what he did do was watch and pray. When the prodigal returned, he ran to meet him and threw a celebratory banquet. Sometimes our vigilant concern for the salvation of those we love means we must watch and pray, trusting that God is working in their hearts.

   


Moody Radio

Go to Moody Home

No comments: